To cure that "hunched-over", headache-fuelled feeling, I'd recommend these tips:
- Ask your boss (kindly) for a stand-up-desk (which is not only trendy, but also good for your health ie you burn more calories standing than you do sittingand it helps improve posture). If this is not easy to accommodate, then simply get up from your desk regularly and move your body, stretch out your arms and breathe in and out doing slow, mindful, deep belly breaths (this calms the nervous system in moments)!
- Try a standing forward fold. It stretches out those tight, tired legs.
- The tree pose is so wonderful for de-stressing. This pose requires strength, balance and is good for tapping into that feeling of being tall and upright. Incorporate breathe work and this is super calming and restorative. It's also playful and all the elements of doing this pose can distract you from stressfuldeadlines, I promise!
- Half-moon pose. By the way, I teach a lawyer in one of my classes and he loves to do this yoga pose at work (he just shuts the door to his office!) You could do this in a park at lunch-time instead if you work in a busy office space (just make sure you take some exercise gear to work because I wouldn't recommend doing this pose in a skirt (chuckle).
- Stand up from your chair and do a tiny backbend. This is so simple but oh soooooo good. Or simply do a spinal twist while you are sitting in your chair (ie move your left hand towards your right hip and then do the other opposites).
Article supplied by Rachel Grunwell - wellness magazine columnist, yoga teacher, marathoner and director of lifestyle website inspiredhealth.co.nz.